so, i read Natalie's blog and it inspired me to write something of my own about Grandma D.
Grandma D is/was/always will be my favorite lady in the world. A lady (as defined by dictionary.com) is a woman who is refined, polite, and well-spoken. Grandma D was just that. She was quite genteel in her manner of conduct but not too stiff to hinder an enjoyable time. There were very few people that Grandma spoke ill of - and when she did you knew that person was well deserving of whatever remark was given. Reversing the tables, there were few people that spoke unfavorably about Grandma. Everyone loved her. Able to articulate with few words what took an hour for a Sunday School teacher to explain, gave her the ability to speak her mind, direct others, and console anyone - all simultaneously. She was the perfect balance of work and play. Heck, she could combine work and play--making it seem like play the whole time. Sometimes, her kids would say, her benevolence got the best of her as she spoiled her grandkids, but we didn't turn out too bad, did we?
No, I think it was her faith that made her such an extraordinary woman. Grandma was an amazing prayer warrior. (come to think of it natalie, that's probably why she played her "game" with us. to get us to go to sleep so she could have time with God. :) ) I know she prayed for all of us kids. She was one of those people that would stop everything she was doing to pray. She would recite verses ---when they seemingly weren't even relevent. Like, when we would say, turn off the lights, she would say, "Men love darkness rather than light because their deeds are evil." we all laughed at her then, but you know what? I still remember that verse. Plus many more. That was one of her ways of instilling truth in us.
One thing that I will always credit to Grandma D is my love for writing. I definitely inherited my imagination from her. One time, she told me, "always write everything down." So I did. But then I got tired of writing facts down, and I remembered a story she told me when I was tiny. "Once upon a time, there was a girl who lived in a log cabin with her family. She and her mother were baking one day and her mother sent her to the store for some bread..." (don't ask me why they didn't bake their bread...since they were baking. but i was like 4. i wasn't really thinking things through at that age.) I didn't remember the rest, but that was all I needed to get my own story underway. Now, I've written one...novella i guess you could call it and am working on a second. :) and third.
Trademarks of Grandma D:
-KU basketball
-Shirly Temple (her favorite was Heidi but mine was the one where the mom was killed....we had to switch on and off to keep both of us happy. :) )
-betty boop (remember those towels???)
-Bill Gaither/Mark Lowry
-sewing (she taught me how!)
-Love Comes Softly Books
-ANYTHING by Janette Oke
-disagreeing just for the sake of disagreeing
-Better Homes & Gardens
-General Hospital (the soap opera)
-Cracker Barrel
-those 2 picture/paintings in her and grandpa's room that i really like. they are the same scene with the same people, just the people are dressed differently and doing different things. does anyone know which one's i'm talking about?
-the blue boy and pink girl (both statue figurine things and paintings)
-Swedish Meatballs (she taught me how to make them :) )
-fleece blankets :)
-pasting :)
-always having food to eat!!!
there's so many more...to try to list them all would be insane.
No, I think it was her faith that made her such an extraordinary woman. Grandma was an amazing prayer warrior. (come to think of it natalie, that's probably why she played her "game" with us. to get us to go to sleep so she could have time with God. :) ) I know she prayed for all of us kids. She was one of those people that would stop everything she was doing to pray. She would recite verses ---when they seemingly weren't even relevent. Like, when we would say, turn off the lights, she would say, "Men love darkness rather than light because their deeds are evil." we all laughed at her then, but you know what? I still remember that verse. Plus many more. That was one of her ways of instilling truth in us.
One thing that I will always credit to Grandma D is my love for writing. I definitely inherited my imagination from her. One time, she told me, "always write everything down." So I did. But then I got tired of writing facts down, and I remembered a story she told me when I was tiny. "Once upon a time, there was a girl who lived in a log cabin with her family. She and her mother were baking one day and her mother sent her to the store for some bread..." (don't ask me why they didn't bake their bread...since they were baking. but i was like 4. i wasn't really thinking things through at that age.) I didn't remember the rest, but that was all I needed to get my own story underway. Now, I've written one...novella i guess you could call it and am working on a second. :) and third.
Trademarks of Grandma D:
-KU basketball
-Shirly Temple (her favorite was Heidi but mine was the one where the mom was killed....we had to switch on and off to keep both of us happy. :) )
-betty boop (remember those towels???)
-Bill Gaither/Mark Lowry
-sewing (she taught me how!)
-Love Comes Softly Books
-ANYTHING by Janette Oke
-disagreeing just for the sake of disagreeing
-Better Homes & Gardens
-General Hospital (the soap opera)
-Cracker Barrel
-those 2 picture/paintings in her and grandpa's room that i really like. they are the same scene with the same people, just the people are dressed differently and doing different things. does anyone know which one's i'm talking about?
-the blue boy and pink girl (both statue figurine things and paintings)
-Swedish Meatballs (she taught me how to make them :) )
-fleece blankets :)
-pasting :)
-always having food to eat!!!
there's so many more...to try to list them all would be insane.
1 comment:
affirmative!!!!!! i love gma!!!! and yes! i know what paintings you're talking about!
Post a Comment