Saturday, February 20, 2010

Meteor Shower

...I can finally see, that You're right there beside me.
I am not my own. I have been made new.
Please don't let me go. I desparately need You...
I really am terrible at blogging. I'm constantly inconsistant.
This past week in my Bible class, we've been studying the spiritual discipline of worship. We were given an excerpt out of a book to read about worship and it made all the usual points up front. It's not about singing, raising your hands, and closing your eyes - although it can be that. The writer went on to say that worship is a state of the heart. An attitude as well as an action. My favorite part was when he said, "when spirit touches spirit," that is worship at it's height.
So the next block period, we had an hour and a half of worship. Donyes told us we could read our Bible, journal, even talk quietly about what God has been teaching us. But throughout the period, he gave us certain subjects and we were to write our responses on the board. The first one was, at this moment in your life, what is God to you?
Redeemer
Father Steadfast Savior
Anchor Lover of My Soul
Sovereign
The next was to put in parentheses what God has been teaching you.
(forgiveness) (to love unconditionally)
(to listen) (to be slow to speak, and quick to listen)
(perserverance) (to worship)
The third and final topic was to write what you're most looking forward to about heaven (and circle it.)
NO EXCUSES ETERNAL LIFE
ANSWERED QUESTIONS OVERFLOWING JOY
GOD'S PRESENCE
NO TEMPTATION NO PAIN REUNIONS
These are only SOME of the things written on the board. By the end of class, it was exploding with peoples' thoughts. All this time, Mr. Donyes had been playing music - the soft, surrendering type. At the end, he turned on some rap. Most of us caught his meaning. But then to one boy he said, "What, Kerley? You don't think you can worship with rap music?"
"You all just spent the past hour and a half worshipping. Funny. I didn't hear any singing. Not one of you talked - even though I told you that you could."
Most of us left with grins on our faces. Because spirit had touched spirit.

1 comment:

Melinda said...

I LOVE THAT SONG.

That sounds like such an awesome time! It reminds me of one time at a conference in Nashville, and another in Indianapolis. It's crazy how if you just take the time to focus on Him, God will meet you where you are. You kwim?

Ahh. Love your blog. KEEP UPDATING.